Reflection on Networking

The readings, videos, and voicethreads this week have been interesting. I am a pretty private person; I communicate with family and a few close friends a lot, but I do not feel so comfortable reaching out beyond that group to people I know only marginally. When that circle expands to the online world where "marginally" becomes exponentially smaller, I am even more reticent about sharing information. On the one hand, I find it easy to contribute a restaurant review on tripadvisor (Here's one I wrote for the Pasta Garage in Lexington, KY...if you're ever in Lexington, make the effort to have lunch there!!). I like being able to recognize an amazing chef. Sometimes, though, I find open-ended tools like Twitter off-putting. I really don't feel that everyone I know and everyone don't know will be better off if they hear my opinion about everything from immigration policy to a local music festival to World Cup soccer. ...and vice versa!  I think that the article by Lowenthal, Dunlap, and Stitson was most helpful to me...it's important to have a strong social media presence when you are competing for jobs and for your career, but you need to make choices consciously and intentionally to reflect who you are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curated Exhibit

Business Travel 2.0