Curated Exhibit

Here is a link to my pinterest board on Street Painting. This has been my hobby since I returned to the States in 2006, and it is exactly the kind of art I like: ephemeral and social. When it rains during a festival, whether it is while I'm painting or overnight between painting days, I am not so excited about the temporal nature of chalk on pavement. However, on the Monday after the festival weekend, I have no problem with cars, bikes, and pedestrians, human and animal, passing over my paintings. In terms of being social, chalk artists paint on blocked off streets during festival weekends; people walk up, ask questions, comment on the design or colors, and talk about life in general. I have met some very interesting beings: tourists from overseas, local immigrants who are happy to find a Spanish-speaker to answer their questions, children, and lots of dogs. I love dogs!

I have always been interested in Pinterest, but I had never tried it until this week. I love having the ability to collect images and links to keep my work and my street painting goals in focus. I also like being able to share my process, which is not unique but is easy to follow, with novice street painters. I like the practical application of very basic geometry and tagged some of the images #geometryandart , #mathandart , and #math+art. I hope that some geometry teacher out there will find them and use them when teaching right triangles! While I grouped my own designs together in one section with tags to sort them ( #spinprogress , #chalkfail , or #geometryandart , for example), I wanted to put the work of other chalk artists I admire in a separate section. I did not want there to be confusion as to the source of these truly beautiful works of art. 

I hope you enjoy this little collection and that you attend a street painting festival near you!

Comments

  1. Oooh! Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria, those street paintings are amazing! Thank you for sharing your work with us. I love the 3-dimensional ones that look like they're jumping right off the street. It's incredible how you are able to maintain the right perspective. I always liked when you'd see a picture from the optimal point of view and then a picture moved off to the side o you can see how spread out it has to be to get that depth look. You definitely have some talent! Have you ever published you work online before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The angle at which the drawing is viewed makes a big difference in how 3D it appears. The best shots are always the ones taken by official festival photographers, who bring pretty tall ladders, assistants, and an excellent camera so they can take pics from above. I have not published work online myself. On festival weekends, I often find my drawings on people's facebook pages and blogs. I need to learn from them! (still struggling with hashtags).

      Delete
  3. I love the vegie-patch garden, looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is super. What a gift. Over the years I have chanced upon street painting events and they are some of my favorite art encounters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Encounter is the right word. It is really wonderful to speak to fellow artists, to early birds who come out super early when we are just getting started or when we are getting set up for day two, to everyone who walks by. Talking about paintings and how they're done leads to some totally unrelated and extremely interesting conversations.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Business Travel 2.0