Bon apetit! International students and cooking online


My younger daughter and I made croissants for breakfast today...a process which began yesterday. You can see the pics on Instagram. I'm posting the final one here!


This is an example of how YouTube and face-to-face classes combine. I took a croissant class at Sur la Table last year; for me, it's really important to be able to feel and smell as I'm cooking, so YouTube alone is not enough. I've made croissants two or three times since then. Yesterday, I forgot exactly how to do one of the folds, so I checked with a pastry chef I've watched before on YouTube (Here's the link: Classic French Croissants ). That online reinforcement/review was croissant-saving!

One of the ways of using social media with international students has to do with cooking. Many of the Saudi and Kuwaiti students I had a few years ago were young men who had never even boiled water. Alone in the US, they craved their moms' cooking, so they Skyped with their moms and followed directions step by step, showing the progress of the recipe as they went. When I found that out, we started "one-pot meal" cooking classes during lunch...I made the first dish, and then students volunteered to do the next few classes. We learned Lebanese, Kuwaiti, Italian dishes...and more! Students filmed the lessons on their phones and uploaded the videos to facebook; we did not have a program facebook page at the time (long story).
Here are a video and a still picture from those lessons:





The video was taken in my house, where we moved one of the lessons because we had a real Austrian chef in the group. The second is of a Lebanese student making mjdara. The students wrote the recipes on the board, getting practice with food words, the vocabulary of cooking, and measurements in English.
Bon apetit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curated Exhibit

Business Travel 2.0